Learn how to get started in e-Certify
Are you accustomed to manually filling out forms and waiting for Green Cards to be returned in the mail? Learn how e-Certify will transform your certified mail process for the better. Then, follow the simple steps below that guide you through the setup and workflow in e-Certify.
Transitioning from the Green Card to e-Certify
No more handwritten forms
Preparing certified mail the traditional way requires filling out PS Form 3800 by hand and attaching it to the front of your envelope. Then, you would need to peel off the tracking number and attach it to the corresponding Green Card which would get attached to the back of the envelope. This process is time-consuming, tedious, and error-prone. e-Certify replaces PS Form 3800 with a clean, printed banner page that is displayed in a window envelope or a simple thermal label that is affixed to the front.
Your new, streamlined proof of delivery
Just like PS Form 3800, manually filling out the Green Card, also referred to as PS Form 3811, is cumbersome and tedious. After delivery, the sender must wait for the Green Card to be returned, and the risk of it getting lost in the mail stream is a threat to security and could have legal consequences. The electronic return receipt solves all these issues and carries the same legal status as the Green Card. With e-Certify, you'll receive an email notification with the electronic return receipt attached as a PDF upon delivery of the mail piece. Your electronic return receipts are stored securely in e-Certify, available for you to view and download at any time, from anywhere.
Step 1: Sign in to e-Certify
Step 2: Create additional users (optional)
You can create additional users to allow others to use e-Certify and create mail pieces.
- Use the right navigation bar to navigate to the Users page.
- To create a new user, click New User.
- Learn more about Users.
Step 3: Create your own tracking label (optional)
The Tracking Labels page allows you to customize the layout of your banner pages and thermal labels with a high level of flexibility and functionality. We provide six default tracking labels based on the most popular types of envelopes and labels. However, if you would like to customize your own, you can do so.
- Use the right navigation bar to navigate to the Tracking Labels page.
- To create a new tracking label, click New Tracking Label.
- Learn more about Tracking Labels.
Step 4: Create a mailing profile
At the heart of e-Certify, the mailing profile integrates your organization’s mailing needs with the USPS. When creating a mail piece, you will need to select a mailing profile to use. This auto-populates a number of fields and speeds up your workflow.
- Use the right navigation bar to navigate to the Mailing Profiles page.
- To create a new mailing profile, click New Mailing Profile.
- Learn more about Mailing Profiles.
Step 1: Create a mail piece
After the simple setup is complete, you are ready to create a mail piece.
- Click Create Tracking in the left navigation bar.
- Create your mail piece.
- Select A Profile: Select a mailing profile to use for the mail piece.
- Add Recipient Address: Enter an address into the Name/Address Block, and click Validate Address to ensure USPS compliant formatting based on USPS standards.
- Calculate Postage: Enter the page count, weight, or postage for your piece. Note that this is only an estimate and doesn’t need to be exact.
- Custom Fields: These are variable fields associated with the mail piece that help with mail piece search.
- Additional Settings: Additional settings include the tracking label selection, email notification settings, extra service selections, and more. These are all auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection.
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Learn more about Mail Piece Creation.
Step 2: Print the banner page
After mail pieces are created and saved, they are placed in your Mail Queue.
- Open and print the banner page for your mail piece by clicking the paper icon to the right of it.
- Double check all of the information on the banner page is accurate.
Step 3: Submit your mail piece to the USPS
Before actually entering your mail piece into the mail stream, it is crucial to first submit it to the USPS. To do this, select the checkbox next to the piece, then click Submit Pieces to the USPS. This does three important things:
- It lets the USPS know the mail piece is coming.
- It generates the USPS paperwork for the mail piece, including the Firm Mailing Book for Accountable Mail (PS Form 3877) and SCAN Form (PS Form 5630).
- It allows tracking and electronic return receipt data to be returned and retrievable in e-Certify.
Your mail piece is now ready to be entered into the mail stream.
Step 4: Track your mail piece
When sending a piece of certified mail, you can track it every step of the way through the mail stream right in e-Certify.
- Use the left navigation bar to navigate to the Piece Search page.
- To view up-to-date tracking information for your piece, click the map icon.
Step 5: View the electronic return receipt
After your mail piece has been delivered and signed for, you will want to access the electronic return receipt, also referred to as the proof of delivery (POD) or signature file. If selected during mail piece creation, you will receive an email notification with the POD attached after your mail piece has been delivered and signed for. In addition, the POD will be made available to view and download in e-Certify.
- To view the POD for your mail piece, click the paper icon.
- Learn more about the Piece Search page.