There are multiple ways to create mail pieces in e-Certify. To create a single mail piece, click Create Tracking in the left navigation bar. To create a batch of mail pieces by uploading a file, navigate to the Mail Queue, then click Upload File. After mail pieces are created and saved, they are placed in your Mail Queue. You can also use our APIs to automate requests for piece creation and integrate these services into your own applications. Please contact support for more information on ConnectSuite Automate.
Create a single mail piece
Select A Profile: Select a mailing profile to use for the mail piece. Learn more about Mailing Profiles.
Add Recipient Address: Click Address Book Lookup to select an address from your address book, or manually enter an address into the Name/Address Block. To change the format for entering a recipient address, go to your Company settings.
- Validate Address: Ensure USPS compliant formatting based on USPS standards.
- Add to My Address Book: Save the address to your address book. It will be saved as a private address by default, meaning other users in your organization won’t be able to see it.
Calculate Postage: Estimate the postage required for your piece. Note that this is only an estimate and doesn’t need to be exact.
- Envelope Type: This field will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection, but can be edited.
- Letter: Max pages = 9-11, max weight = 3.5 ounces
- Flat: Max pages = 48-51, max weight = 13 ounces
- When the weight of your envelope or parcel exceeds the 13 ounce limit for First-Class mail, you can utilize the USPS Priority Mail service. Learn more about using Priority Mail.
- Calculation Method: Select a method for calculating postage.
- Pages/Weight/Postage: Enter the appropriate page count, weight, or postage based on your Calculation Method choice. You can set a default page count for all mail pieces you create by adjusting your settings on the My Profile page.
Custom Fields: These are variable fields associated with the mail piece that help with mail piece search. Depending on your settings for custom fields in various places, these fields may be auto-populated.
- Note: Custom fields can have a maximum of 150 characters, and font size may reduce this limit.
- Required custom fields: When enabled, a red asterisk will appear next to a required custom field. Mail pieces cannot be created and saved without entering data in these fields.
- Learn more about Custom Fields.
- Tracking Label: Select the tracking label to be used for the mail piece. This field will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection, but can be edited.
- Locations: This field will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection, but can be edited. Selecting a location will do two things:
- It will allow only users assigned to that location to access the mail piece. Note that this only applies for users with the Filter By Location/Department display filter enabled.
- It will change the sender/return address for the piece. See sender/return address information below.
- Departments: This field will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection, but can be edited. Selecting a department will allow only users assigned to that department to access the mail piece. Note that this only applies for users with the Filter By Location/Department display filter enabled.
- Email Notifications: Configure email notifications for the piece. These fields will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection. Depending on the configuration of the selected mailing profile, these fields may or may not be editable.
- To send email notifications to an alternate email address, select (Add One-time Email Address), and enter an email. To send email notifications to multiple email addresses, separate them with a semicolon.
- Proof of Acceptance Email: Receive an email with the POA attached when the USPS accepts the mail piece. See an example of a POA here.
- POA emails are generally received within 24 hours of the acceptance event.
- Proof of Delivery Email: Receive an email with the POD attached after the mail piece is delivered and signed for. See an example of a POD here.
- The USPS transmits proof of delivery (POD) files to ConnectSuite in several batches each Monday between 00:00-23:59. Note that ConnectSuite processes the PODs as the USPS makes them available, and it may take up to 24 hours to complete POD processing, make it available in e-Certify, and, if applicable, email it to you. In the event a POD is not available in e-Certify by the start of business Tuesday morning the week following the first Monday the POD was expected, please contact support for further investigation.
- Extra Services: Select the extra services you would like with the mail piece. These fields will be auto-populated according to your mailing profile selection. Depending on the configuration of the selected mailing profile, these fields may or may not be editable.
- Certified Mail: Provides proof of mailing (when PS Form 3877 or PS Form 5630 is used at the time of mailing) and tracking history
- Restricted Delivery: Specify that only the recipient can sign for and receive the mailing. Must be used in combination with Certified Mail.
- (Electronic) Return Receipt: Commonly referred to as a proof of delivery (POD), this provides an electronic delivery record (PDF) showing the recipient’s signature.
- Certificate of Mailing: Certificate of mailing service is available only at the time of mailing and provides evidence that mail has been presented to the USPS for mailing. Certificate of mailing service does not provide a record of delivery, and the USPS does not retain copies of PS Form 3665. Certificate of Mailing cannot be used in combination with any other extra service.
Save and Create Similar: When you want to create another piece with all of the exact same selections and settings but a new address, click Save and Create Similar. You will notice all fields maintain your prior selections except for the Add Recipient Address section.
Sender/return address information
Your sender/return address is used in the following places:
- The sender/return address on the banner page
- The Name and Address of Sender field on PS Form 3877
- The Shipped From fields on PS Form 5630
The address used in these places is pulled from the following, in this order:
- User address
- Location address
- Location selected during mail piece creation
- Location selected within mailing profile
- Company address
Create a batch of mail pieces
To create a batch of mail pieces by uploading a file, navigate to the Mail Queue, then click Upload File.
Choose File: The file to be uploaded must be saved as a CSV or TSV file. You can download the appropriate sample file according to your format for entering a recipient address below. Note that the default format is Address block, and this setting can be adjusted in your Company settings.
- Address block: A sample file for this format can be downloaded here. The name of the sample file is cm_ab_sample.
- Deliver as addressed: A sample file for this format can be downloaded here. The name of the sample file is cm_dad_sample.
- The weight column is required to be filled in. The custom field and retrefnum columns are optional.
- Use the notificationemail column if you would like to specify an email address for email notifications. To send email notifications to multiple email addresses, separate them with a semicolon. If this column is left blank, notifications will be sent to the notification email of the user who uploaded the file.
Profile: Select a mailing profile to be used with all mail pieces in the batch.